Before actually jumping into baking, I had to have the right tools. We already had most of the basic necessities in the kitchen: a spatula, bowls, a hand beater, measuring spoons, measuring cups, and an oven. But we were missing the most important one: a mixer!
Most standing mixers range from over $100 to $200, depending on the brand and features. As much as I wanted to learn to bake, I didn't want to spend so much on a new hobby that I wasn't even sure I would be good at, or wasn't even going to earn from.
So I delayed my baking adventure for a while to decide whether I should even start or not. Then one day, I went into a newly opened store in our area called Ollie's Bargain Outlet, which promised to have "good stuff cheap."
Lo and behold, I found a mixer for all of $30! It's Hamilton Beach, a popular brand known for good quality kitchenware and appliances. It's both a hand mixer and standing mixer. The hand mixer attaches to a stand, and it comes with a big heat-proof glass bowl.
Along with the mixer, I got a couple of muffin pans, parchment paper, cookie sheets, and paper muffin liners. I also bought a couple of books. One was the "Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything you need to know to cook today," which had recipes for various pastries, pies, cakes, and cookies. The other was Martha Stewart's "Cupcakes," which -- obviously -- had recipes for cupcakes as well as loads of decorating tips.
Armed with my newly bought tools, I was ready to begin my culinary journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment